Understanding career goals and aspirations is a part of how we help our candidate’s secure new and challenging opportunities. We want you to be successful in your job search and we want to help make the transition smooth and as stress-free as possible. Let us help you simplify your job search.View urgent job roles from BSS RECRUITMENTS and apply now:
Date: 11 Dec 2020
BBS Recruitment is currently recruiting for an experienced and emotionally intelligent Communications Officer for our client in Derby, working on high profile issues in an organization driving Derby forward.
As well as working on the Council’s media desk on a rota basis, the successful applicant will create, manage and evaluate strategic and tactical communications plans targeting our workforce, the public and stakeholders, in order to support the Council’s vision to make Derby a better place to live, work and visit, as well as to protect and enhance the reputation of the Council.
Applicants should have a proven track record of working at a strategic level, in an extremely fast-paced communications environment. You must feel confident in planning, delivering coherent briefings, and creating engaging content to ensure that the Council’s position is clearly understood and its narrative consistently heard.
A thorough understanding of media channels, excellent relationship-building and a willingness to work outside core office hours will also be important.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY AS COMMUNICATION OFFICER:
• Plan and implement innovative external marketing and communications plans that deliver the Council’s strategic objectives as stated in the Council Plan.
• Monitor and report progress of priority marketing and communications strategies against objectives and milestones to the services involved and the Head of Communications & Marketing, providing robust evaluation into effectiveness.
• Provide a robust and timely media service on behalf of the Council that will include:
- Research and write press releases/articles;
- Organize photo-calls and interviews;
- Responding to media inquiries;
- Provide written briefs for Cabinet Members as directed;
- Ensure all relevant electronic records on J drive are kept up to date;
- Write and upload content to the Council’s newsroom website.
• Source, write, edit and upload high-quality copy relevant to the target audience such as features, articles, and video content for the Council’s newsroom web site and other external channels as appropriate.
• Specifically, contribute and maintain up to date information on the Council’s newsroom website, including written copy, lists, images, short films, and vlogs so that content changes daily, clearly articulating Council news, meetings, views and services as agreed in the Digital Content Strategy, inputting into the newsroom content planner so that key Council objectives are met.
• Write and implement social media strategies to meet the desired objectives, ensuring consistency of messaging to grow the Council’s online supporter base and traffic.
• Respond to and rebut where appropriate, messages posted on Council social media channels to ensure public perceptions are managed.
• The post holder will contribute to the management of any crisis communications in the event of the Council’s emergency plan or business continuity plan being evoked, under the direction of the Head of Communication & Marketing.
• Ensure all relevant legal guidelines and procedures are followed such as the Recommended Code of Practice on Local Government Publicity, March 2011, copyright and data protection laws.
• Ensure all communications activity is in line with Council policy and procedures including equality and diversity, health and safety, corporate governance and statutory obligations.
• Focus on the customer experience, responding to feedback, ensuring the service provided is always appropriate and supportive of internal and external needs.
• Work with colleagues to nurture a positive team environment in the Communications & Marketing team, covering for colleagues when necessary, keeping colleagues informed of current work, providing support where necessary, and attending Divisional meetings.
• The post holder will be required to provide out of hours on-call support as directed by the Head of Communications & Marketing and to attend Council Cabinet on a rota basis, plus attending other events and Council meetings that could be away from the Council House.
• Undertake any such duties within the broad remit of the post as may from time to time be required.
REQUIREMENTS FOR COMMUNICATION OFFICER:
• CIM or CIPR qualification at certificate or diploma level AND 3 years’ experience in a public relations environment OR 3 years’ experience in designing, implementing and evaluating marketing communications strategies.
• Experience of working in a communications and marketing environment
• Experience of writing news articles, press releases or media content for a variety of different audiences
• Experience of developing, implementing and leading on the implementation of a communications strategy with measurable outcomes aligned to corporate objectives.
• Experience of initiating and planning media campaigns, which include defining goals, analyzing problems and identifying opportunities.
• Awareness and sensitivity to the political and cultural environment of a large, complex organization.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills – the ability to work with staff, senior leaders, the public and members of the media.
• Ability to develop, implement and lead communications strategies that deliver against the organization’s objectives
• Knowledge and ability to plan structure media campaigns including monitoring and evaluation.
• Be self-motivated and be innovative in generating ideas and practical solutions for the effectiveness of the communications team and the organization as a whole.
• Discretion and an ability to keep sensitive information confidential.
• We will make reasonable adjustments under the DDA for disabled people.
• Able to work evenings and occasional weekends on a pre-arranged basis.
• Flexibility in work commitment and team approach. Willing to work outside of office hours and form part of the on-call rota.
Hours per week : 37.00
Start date : 09/11/2020
Start time : 09:00
End time : 17:30
If interested apply here or call 01707663777.