Understanding career goals and aspirations is a part of how we help our candidate’s secure new and challenging opportunities. We want you to be successful in your job search and we want to help make the transition smooth and as stress-free as possible. Let us help you simplify your job search.
BBS Recruitment is currently recruiting for an experienced Senior SEN Officer Grade 13 to join our client based in Oxford.
The successful candidate will be organized and self-sufficient working independently as well as part of a team.
Job Purpose as a Senior SEN Officer:
• To ensure that all Statutory processes are completed in the timeframes set out in the Code of Practice
• To support the PfA Lead Officer to ensure that the strategic aims for young people with special educational needs are met within the legislative frameworks.
• To take lead responsibility for advising parents, schools, colleges and providers in implementing SEND decisions, managing expectations, issues and arising disputes on these decisions.
• To lead and manage the Tribunal process for all PfA cases to ensure that all deadline dates are met and that all case preparation is in line with Tribunal rules.
Job Responsibilities as a Senior SEN Officer:
• Managing and overseeing the whole assessment and placement process for young people Yr 9 and above, ensuring that each assessment is handled efficiently and within statutory deadlines, ensuring each EHC plan issued is of high quality.
• Leading and attending Way Forward, Mediation and pre-Tribunal meetings as required. Being the LA representative at Tribunals, unless legal representation is required.
• Providing professional support and advice (including training where required) to Headteachers, Principles of Colleges, SENCO’s, Governing bodies/Academy Trust, to ensure that they are compliant with the Code of Practice and Disability Discrimination Act.
• Ensuring that the planning process for 14+ Transition is in place and reviewed with the PfA Lead Officer to ensure it is compliant with legislation.
• Monitoring placements
• Ensuring that all records for students are maintained and up to date at all times. This will ensure that an audit trail of involvement is kept and is able to be produced if required.
• Working with SEN officers to ensure that all paperwork produced for SEN Panels is accurate and contains up to date information required to ensure that decisions can be made swiftly.
• Ensuring and maintaining effective communication with key statutory and voluntary sector
• Ensuring that you are always up to date on changes to Legislation, changes to policies and procedures and ensure that all staff are aware of these changes.
• Maintaining confidentiality at all times.
Skills as a Senior Sen Officer:
• Knowledge and experience of the SEND Code of Practice and relevant Legislation A/I/T
• Experience of working with Children & Young people with SEND, their families and
• A high level of understanding of SEND processes and case management, to ensure
that the timelines set out in the Code of practice are adhered to at all times A/I/T
• Ability to lead and manage a team, ensuring that the team priorities are met at all
• Excellent communication skills , in particular, writing letters, dealing with complaints,
writing reports and undertaking difficult telephone calls A/I
• In-depth Knowledge of the SEND Tribunal process, including the ability to write case
statements and be the lead professional at Tribunal hearings A/I
• Ability to travel across the County as required A
• Knowledge and experience of using the Capita ONE system, including the use of all
Microsoft applications A/I
• Educated to degree level or above A/I
Requirements as a Senior Sen Officer:
Proof of right to work in the UK
Medical clearance and verification of certificates
Enhanced Disclosure(Valid 12 Months)
Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check with Children’s and Adults Barred List
Start Date:Monday 2.11.2020