Understanding career goals and aspirations is a part of how we help our candidate’s secure new and challenging opportunities. We want you to be successful in your job search and we want to help make the transition smooth and as stress-free as possible. Let us help you simplify your job search.View urgent job roles from BSS RECRUITMENTS and apply now:
Senior Trading Standards Officer
Location: Hackney, London
Date: 29 Oct 2020
BBS Recruitment is currently recruiting for an experienced Senior Trading Standards Officer in a temp position for our client in Hackney.
The successful candidate should be a proactive and hardworking individual with prior 2 years experience within a role.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
As a member of the Trading Standards team you will be responsible to the successful delivery of the business objectives of your designated team that will contribute to the achievement of the Mayor’s priorities, Council’s corporate objectives.
Carry out the duties of a Trading Standards Officer, undertake inspections, investigate complaints, prepare prosecution reports, undertake project work and carry out work outside of standard office hours.
Plan, prepare and carryout targetted operations utilising resource from across the service as appropriate to ensure the objectives of the service are met i.e. underage sales, counterfeit operations (Tobacco, DVD’s etc), minimum wage and business standards operations.
Undertake out reach work with communities and where behaviours exist that impact upon communities seek to change these behaviours utilising a range of intervention types including but not limited to engagement, notices, seizure and ultimately prosecution action.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
• Authorised to enforce a full range of trading standards and ancillary legislation allocated to the service unit.
• To contribute to the development, maintenance and promotion of the Council’s policies on equal opportunities and the development of good staff and community relations. Undertake out reach work with communities and where behaviours exist that impact upon communities seek to change these behaviours utilising a range of intervention types including but not limited to engagement, notices, seizure and ultimately prosecution action.
• To carry out work associated with corporate quality and initiatives as directed, developing policy and practice along with new systems and work procedures.
• Seek to raise compliance through adopting a collaborative partnership approach with businesses seeking prevention and compliance building opportunities.
• To acquire and apply specialist knowledge in a significant area of service delivery, taking responsibility for keeping up to date with developments, and providing training and guidance to colleagues.
• To prepare detailed reports and/or briefing documents recommending defined courses of action.
• To inspect trade premises, investigate complaints and carry out enforcement action as appropriate, including prosecution. To utilise intelligence resources to target actions appropriately to where they are most needed and make the biggest impact
• To advise consumers and traders of their rights and obligations under all trading standards legislation
• To investigate complaints arising from business or trading practices and carry out enforcement action as appropriate.
• To undertake cases in accordance with PACE and CPIA requirements. This includes preparing case papers, investigating infringements (including bypass provision) and making recommendations for action.
• To investigate Trading Standards /Proceeds of Crime offences and prepare legal cases in accordance with statutory code of practices to facilitate successful prosecutions.
• To coordinate POCA investigations across the authority with authorized officers from other teams and in association with Finance and Legal Officers To develop expertise in a specialist area of trading standards work related to the priorities of the service at any given time, to update staff on the area of expertise and to draft reports for the team manager recommending procedures and policy changes where necessary.
• To keep abreast of legislative and technical developments in the specialist areas in which the post holder is developing expertise.
• To make test purchases, take samples and carry out screen tests within established guidelines.
• To be responsible for the care and maintenance of working standards and all equipment as allocated.
• To amend and update databases as instructed and co-operate with administrative staff over the maintenance of computer based and/or manual information and record systems and maintenance of the service.
• To attend court as a witness for the local authority.
BSc or Diploma in Trading Standards
Authorised in animal feed and weights and measures inspections
2 years of references
Start date: 21.09.2020
If interested apply here or call 01707663777.