Understanding career goals and aspirations is a part of how we help our candidate’s secure new and challenging opportunities. We want you to be successful in your job search and we want to help make the transition smooth and as stress-free as possible. Let us help you simplify your job search.
BBS Recruitment is currently recruiting for an experienced Senior Electoral Services Officer in a temp position for our client in Lambeth.
The successful candidate should be a proactive and hardworking individual with prior experience within a role.
Main purpose of post
• To take a lead role in the strategic planning, project management and operational delivery of electoral registration activities and the conduct of elections, as directed by the Deputy Electoral Services Manager (DESM) and Electoral Services Manager (ESM).
• To complete planning, project management and operational tasks for delegated project areas at senior officer level in regards:
• year-round electoral registration and the delivery of the annual electoral canvass,
• the effective conduct of elections and referenda and
• outreach initiatives to promote democratic participation.
Key Unit Accountabilities
The following are to be undertaken by either or both senior officers employed in this post as directed by the DESM and ESM.
• Be responsible for the day to day administration of electoral registration activities, ensuring workloads are prioritised and processed in accordance with statutory requirements. Check the completeness and accuracy of applications, using discretion in determining individuals’ eligibility to register.
• Lead on the use of local and (where applicable) external data and other information sources to identity and target new electors, verify the identity of registration applicants who have not been automatically matched against DWP records and identify existing electors who may no longer be eligible to be registered.
• Ensure effective maintenance of the Electoral Services property database through proactive measures including updating addresses in accordance with the Local Land and Property Gazetteer (LLPG) liaising with other council departments and Royal Mail, ensuring appropriate action is taken regarding new developments, property naming and numbering orders and queries raised by residents and property owners, and making site visits as necessary.
• Lead on the management of absent voting records, maintain and update postal and proxy voting personal identifiers, be responsible for checking the completeness and accuracy of information provided and manage the absent voting refresher procedure. Issue and reissue postal ballot papers at elections.
• Undertake rolling reviews of electors’ entitlement to remain registered in accordance with statutory requirements.
• Be responsible for managing special category electors, including British citizens living overseas, crown servants, homeless, armed forces and anonymous voters, ensuring new applications and renewals are processed in accordance with required timescales..
• Ensure robust administration of the queries and exceptions process for applicants who have made incomplete registration applications or have failed automatic identity verification.
• Ensure appropriate registration activities in regards high occupancy properties including, residential/nursing homes, hostels and student accommodation.
• Ensure optimum functionality of the Xpress elections and electoral registration IT system, arranging installation and testing of software updates and managing access for authorised council officers and contractors, training new users and attending external user group meetings as required.
• Lead on ensuring the council's information systems, in particular web pages, are fit for purpose in supporting the work of the Electoral Services team and provide comprehensive information to stakeholders.
• Lead on planning, devising and delivering outreach and engagement activities to encourage electoral registration and democratic participation amongst Lambeth’s citizens.
• Lead support for implementing Lambeth’s Digital Strategy for Electoral Services activities, including reviewing and updating key functions to encourage significantly increased use of online and automated channels.
• Resource and coordinate staffing for elections and the annual household electoral canvass, including recruitment, allocation, training and payment of staff in accordance with operational and legislative requirements.
• Devise training materials, including arranging online training content, and deliver training sessions for elections and canvass staff as required.
• Provide lead support and robust quality assurance for the specification, procurement and production of printed registration materials such as household enquiry forms and invitations to register and election stationery including poll cards, absent votes and ballot papers by external print partners.
• Make arrangements for the provision of polling stations in line with statutory requirements, ensuring accessibility for all voters, recording key holder and payee contact details, agreeing payment rates and arranging for payments to be made. This will include identifying and assessing potential replacement venues due to non-availability of previously used premises.
• Provide senior support in administering the electoral nomination processes, including informal checks of nomination papers, preparing nomination packs, updating the election management system as directed and providing feedback, guidance and advice to ESM/DESM.
• Lead support for procurement and provision of all polling station equipment and presiding officer documentation at elections
• Provide support in planning and preparation of election counts as directed by the DESM and ESM and undertake election count duties as required. All Electoral Services core staff are required to attend counts except when advised otherwise by the DESM/ESM or specific circumstances apply. Counts may take place at any council premises or at external venues, both during and outside standard working hours.
• Provide detailed information and statistics to the ESM and DESM for council and statutory reporting purposes, including completion of funding claims, post-election and registration reports as necessary.
• Coordinate the receipt of candidate expense submissions at elections and make arrangements for collation, copying, inspection and sale of returns. Arrange publication of statutory notices where required.
• Act as lead support in the completion of boundary reviews such as reviews of UK Parliamentary Constituencies, council ward reviews and reviews of polling districts and polling places. Review and update electoral canvass areas each year prior to the annual canvass being undertaken.
• Maintain a thorough and up to date knowledge of electoral law and keep abreast of professional developments, legislative changes and best practice.
• Respond to communications submitted by e-mail, in writing, or in person and investigate complaints made by all stakeholders. Recommend action arising from complaints and prepare responses or refer to the DESM/ESM as appropriate.
• Manage operational relationship between Electoral Services and Lambeth’s Customer Call Centre, ensuring up to date guidance and materials are provided to Call Centre staff, following up on compliance issues and resolving complex queries.
• Oversee the provision of restricted information from the electoral register to those entitled to receive it, identifying user entitlement accurately.
• Plan and arrange own work in accordance with required deadlines and priorties. Understand and apply key team working principles throughout all activities. Provide guidance, support and training to other team members as appropriate.
• Actively seek out opportunities for learning and development and undertake internal and external training/development courses and activities as directed by/in consultation with DESM and ESM.
• Undertake manual handling tasks such as the movement of forms, ballot boxes, polling booths, ballot papers and other registration/election equipment as required.
• Review and maintain administrative mechanisms to improve the integrity of the electoral register and to identify and deal with any fraudulent or suspect applications.
• Undertake any other duties commensurate with the grade and falling within the scope of the post, as requested by DESM/ESM and Director of Legal Services and HR.
• To work flexibly in undertaking the duties and responsibilities of this job, and participate as required in multi-disciplinary cross-department and cross-organisational groups and task teams.
• To take responsibility, relevant to the post, for ensuring that Council statutes and government legislation are upheld. This includes, amongst others; Management Compliance Charter, Environmental Policy, Data Protection Act, Race Equality Action Plan, Quality Assurance Plan, Health & Safety, Sustainable Construction and Recycling.
• To take responsibility, appropriate to the post for tackling racism and promoting good race, ethnic and community relations.
• The Electoral Services team operates in a pressurised environment, particularly at elections and during peak registration periods. Senior PO2 officers will be expected and required to work additional hours, sometimes at short notice (including evenings and weekends) as directed by line managers to ensure deadlines are met. Staff will be compensated accordingly for additional hours undertaken.
Senior officer level experience in a transferable service delivery, local authority, democracy or public body environment
Start date: 10.08.2020
If you are interested in this role please call 01707663777.