Understanding career goals and aspirations is a part of how we help our candidate’s secure new and challenging opportunities. We want you to be successful in your job search and we want to help make the transition smooth and as stress-free as possible. Let us help you simplify your job search.
BBS Recruitment is currently recruiting for an experienced Communications Officer in a temp position for our client located in Derby.
The successful candidate will be a proactive and hardworking individual with two years prior experience within a role.
• Plan and implement innovative external marketing and communications plans that deliver the Council’s strategic objectives as stated in the Council Plan.
• Monitor and report progress of priority marketing and communications strategies against objectives and milestones to the services involved and the Head of Communications & Marketing, providing robust evaluation into effectiveness.
• Provide a robust and timely media service on behalf of the Council that will include:
• Research and write press releases/articles;
• Organise photo-calls and interviews;
• Responding to media enquiries;
• Provide written briefs for Cabinet Members as directed;
• Ensure all relevant electronic records on J drive are kept up to date;
• Write and upload content to the Council’s newsroom website.
• Source, write, edit and upload high quality copy relevant to the target audience such as features, articles and video content for the Council’s newsroom web site and other external channels as appropriate.
• Specifically, contribute and maintain up to date information on the Council’s newsroom web site, including written copy, lists, images, short films and vlogs so that content changes daily, clearly articulating Council news, meetings, views and services as agreed in the Digital Content Strategy, inputting into the newsroom content planner so that key Council objectives are met.
• Write and implement social media strategies to meet the desired objectives, ensuring consistency of messaging to grow the Council’s online supporter base and traffic.
• Respond to and rebut where appropriate, messages posted on Council social media channels to ensure public perceptions are managed.
• The post holder will contribute to the management of any crisis communications in the event of the Council’s emergency plan or business continuity plan being evoked, under the direction of the Head of Communication & Marketing.
• Ensure all relevant legal guidelines and procedures are followed such as the Recommended Code of Practice on Local Government Publicity, March 2011, copyright and data protection laws.
• Ensure all communications activity is in line with Council policy and procedures including equality and diversity, health and safety, corporate governance and statutory obligations.
• Focus on the customer experience, responding to feedback, ensuring the service provided is always appropriate and supportive of internal and external needs.
• Work with colleagues to nurture a positive team environment in the Communications & Marketing team, covering for colleagues when necessary, keeping colleagues informed of current work, providing support where necessary, and attending Divisional meetings.
• The post holder will be required to provide out of hours on-call support as directed by the Head of Communications & Marketing and to attend Council Cabinet on a rota basis, plus attending other events and Council meetings that could be away from the Council House.
• Undertake any such duties within the broad remit of the post as may from time to time be required.
Start date: 10.08.2020
Hours per week: 37
CIM or CIPR qualification at certificate or diploma level
Experience in a public relations environment