Understanding career goals and aspirations is a part of how we help our candidate’s secure new and challenging opportunities. We want you to be successful in your job search and we want to help make the transition smooth and as stress-free as possible. Let us help you simplify your job search.View urgent job roles from BSS RECRUITMENTS and apply now:
Date: 07 Jul 2020
- The Cemetery Officer is to deliver front line burial service to a multi-cultural community undertaking a full range of Cemetery burial and ground maintenance tasks in accordance with statutory and service requirements.
- The succesful Cemetery Officer will deliver the highest possible standards of customer care / experience when speaking to or meeting the public, undertaking all duties with due sensitivity, empathy, and discretion, and acting as an ambassador on behalf of the Council.
- To respond positively and sensitively to customer enquiries or complaints providing straightforward advice and guidance to the customer on service delivery, reporting outcomes to the line manager or where queries or complaints remain unresolved to take responsibility of escalating to the line manager
- To undertake grave digging and back filling, pathway cleaning including the construction of grave shoring units, spoil box and the dressing of graves prior to funeral, removal and back filling to complete a burial to specified standards(including the use of shoring and locking lids).
- To undertake a wide range of ground maintenance and gardening duties including grass cutting or strimming, hedge and shrub pruning and maintenance of flowers according to season including the as required removal of leaves, weeds, storm damage, dog fouling, litter and, when appropriate, snow & ice, to specified standards. Taking due care not to cause damage to Council or third-party vehicles, plant, equipment, property including gravestones or memorabilia during grass cutting or grave digging acting to avoid the grass from spoiling, staining, or sticking on headstones.
- To follow incident / accident reporting structure should damage occur.
- Ensuring Pathways and roadways are kept clean as defined by former national performance indicator Ni 195 a & b for litter and detritus which includes contamination by soils.
- To undertake application of weed killer with direct supervision unless qualified to NPTC standards for which training will be provided as required.
- To collect waste within specified procedures and time scales to keep the cemetery clean and tidy always.
- To identify graves and act as a point of contact for mourners and general visitors to the Cemetery.
- Always behave and act sensitively, particularly in the vicinity of corteges, mourners and the bereaved, including any likely noise disturbance displaying high levels of empathy and sympathy as within the required culture always.
- To undertake customer liaison and respond to service queries raised by customers, offering straightforward advice and guidance to the customer on service delivery and operations. Where matters cannot be resolved, queries are reported to the line manager.
- To conduct oneself appropriately to project a positive professional image always whilst always being aware of the needs of both residents and internal customers for the service. This includes the wearing of the corporate uniform and the required upkeep of to ensure a professional image
- Answer queries from the public as to the level of service provided to promote the service and inform the public to meet customer service objectives.
- To drive and operate a range of vehicles up to 3.5 ton (Category B Licence) including 360o grave diggers, dumpers, including loading, washing out and cleaning. Participate and complete to the required standard all training provided on each type of vehicle / machine and item of equipment and ensure that operations are implemented fully in accordance with training provided and learning outcomes.
- To undertake timely vehicle & / or machine checks including daily agreed maintenance, recording in accordance with procedures.
- Responsibility for security of vehicles, tools and all equipment allocated and used for cemetery and ground maintenance operations.
- Responsibility for the correct use of safety aids including mobile phones and communication equipment, as allocated
- Attend and participate in staff briefings ensuring that current information and service requirements are undertaken. Follow Council procedures relating to absence, leave and behaviours including supporting the aims of developing a team culture supporting others.
- To participate in training programme as necessary or required and/or contribute to the council’s personal development scheme
- To contribute positively to regular staff meetings to address service and staff issues.
- To record routine events and prepare basic report to for the line manager including progress of work in face of interruptions e.g. machine failure, public queries, vehicle breakdowns accident & near miss incidents etc.
- Carry out all accountabilities in compliance with the Council’s Policies and Procedures and meet COTs standards for all cemetery operations.
- Any other duties reasonably requested by management.
- 2 Years References
- Start Date: 30/03/2020